Thursday, June 28, 2007

Classic Rock

real quick: Andrea and i pretty much keep it locked into 91.5FM, which is the local NPR station. it's #1 on my radio. #2 is 100.7 "The New River". i liked "The Old River" better, which used to be a pretty good station that played classic rock, but not the cheesy rotation consisting of only Boston, Frampton and The Eagles. they had a much deeper rotation. until a year or so ago when they went totally cheesy. the other cheesy classic rock station went country and the "new rock" station (96.1, #3 on my saved list) now plays "everything that rocks", which means all the crappiest songs you can think of from the past 25 years. i have the NC State station all the way over on #6, but i never listen to it. i'm too old for college radio. give me my news and the occasional rockin' 70's or 80's tune and i'm happy.

so, we were coming back from Cary last night listening to NPR and i blurted out "FEELS LIKE THE FIRST TIME - FOREIGNER!!" and hit #2 on my radio. and what song was playing? on my mothers eyes, it was "Feels Like The First Time" by Foreigner. i about went off the road. it was awesome.

it's not like i've done that same trick every day for a year or anything. even if i had, the chances of catching it at the exact moment the song was on would be low percentage. truth be told, i've only ever tried that one other time: yesterday. i said "FEELS LIKE THE FIRST TIME: FOREIGNER!!!" and hit #2, but it was The Cars, i think. so i'm 50%. not too shabby.

i figure that exact occurrence has happened maybe 100 times in the history of mankind. but the radio didn't get big until the 1900's, so it's not that big a deal, right? wrong!! it's not my fault humans were too dumb to invent it sooner! so yeah, i'm one of maybe 100 people in the world to do that. not counting the time a radio station was changing its format from country to classic rock and played "Stairway To Heaven" for 24 hours straight, back to back. i imagine plenty of people could guess what song was playing on that station at any given time, but were probably not as excited as i was to be correct.

please don't leave a comment telling me how you "thought of a song" and then turned on the radio, only to hear it. no witnesses = it didn't happen. i'm talking about pulling a Babe Ruth, in radio form.

you just don't know how excited i was when i heard Foreigner playing my song. hehe, "my song". like i love that song or something. i do now, i can tell you that much!

it doesn't take a whole lot to get me excited.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Thanks for calling me this morning. It feels like the first time I ever heard that song play through my head all day.

But really, that pretty much rocked. Good job psychic baby.