Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I have changed my ways

For the record: I have not, nor will i harm my new little furry nocturnal friend. he only weighs a couple ounces, so even if he eats his weight every night, it would hardly put a dent in my stock pile of sunflower seeds.

if i walk out there one night and there are 10 of those things going to town, that would be really creepy, but i'd refrain from doin' any killin'. life is precious AND my feeder costs around $40 and i don't want to risk breaking it.

there are 2 types of flying squirrels in the US: Northern and Southern. ours is a Southern, although both live in NC. both are also mainly associated with the Western part of the state, so i'm flattered he has chosen our back yard to plunder.

check out this shot of a Southern flying in its natural habitat. magnificent!!

1 comment:

daddisan said...

Yeah, man. That's a helluva thing you got there. I wonder if anyone from NC State would be interested in that too. Not to catch it or anything, just to sort of log it as a siting or whatever. If it's rare, that is. Either way, those are some great shots you took. You gonna call him Rockie or something?