Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Bob's forensic analysis of video

this is great. you should click over and read it from the source, but in case you're too lazy, here's a copy-n-paste:

Highlights include:
  • Seth smiling and smirking his way through the whole affair, as he does with many things in life.
  • Mrs. Updyke looking like the happiest bride in the world.
  • Mr. Updyke, with beer in one hand and woman in the other, looking like a seasoned barbershop professional having a little fun.
  • Me mostly sort of looking like I am in pain, which I was not. I was having the time of my life, but I was also trying to concentrate and not mess up.
  • -02:57: Jerry assuring Seth he was playing the right note on his pitch pipe. Seth never grew to fully trust that pitch pipe. He always thought it was playing him the wrong starting note.
  • -02:52: Me not sticking my opening note. If you’re going to be solid on any note, it should be that opener. And I swear I always hit it in our practices. Oh well. Everyone else stays right on key and I recover ok.
  • -02:05: Jerry holding up his ring finger when we sing “Place a wedding band upon your hand.” This is the extent of what we could come up with, choreography-wise.
  • -01:49: The crowd interpreting a pause as the end of the song and going wild.
  • -01:02: Mr. Updyke leaning in to the mic and really emphasizing the crazy low note he hits here. People being greatly amuzed by this. (check out the look of horror on Andrea's face as I lean in...i think she thought i was passing out or something. then, when she sees all is well, she snaps back into a smile and continues singing. my personal favorite part of the whole video)
  • -00:54: That’s right. Key change.
  • -00:18: Seth taking us out with a cool-looking, commanding “bam!” hand motion that was actually a signal for “I’ve been holding this note for a long time and I am now out of breath.”
  • -00:15: Seth, Andrea, and I coming in for some love and Papa Updyke shoving us away. He later explained to me that he was trying to get us to spread out and take a bow, but then came to the realization that it was too much to orchestrate. (in retrospect, it would've been nice to have mentioned my plans to you all. instead, it has a "Get the hell away from me!!" look about it. couldn't be further from the truth!)
  • -00:09: The four of us celebrating the culmination of several months of work, and our shared musical bond, by warmly embracing each other.
  • -00:04: Me getting a face-full of Updyke’s boutinerre, because he is so freaking tall.

i added my own thoughts in bold...

that'll do, Bobby. that'll do.

he promises to go back to writing about other stuff soon, which is good b/c he's got so much material. i promise to go back to not writing for weeks at a time, then pop in with the occasional rant about something dumb.

No comments: